Cleaning up a Computer for the Computer Illiterate
Your computer is your workstation, it’s super important to keep it as clean as any other place you spend a lot of time. So, we’ve put together a quick and very simple guide to cleaning up a computer if you just happen to be more or less computer illiterate.
- Use this to uninstall unused programs: https://www.piriform.com/
- Not sure what to uninstall? This will suggest what to get rid of, complete with ratings and descriptions:
- Next, do a deep scan with this program and follow its instructions to remove malware: https://www.malwarebytes.org/
- When it comes to browsers, yes, Chrome is the best. That being said, I find Firefox to have a better add-on selection (particularly when it comes to ads and YouTube). Here’s where you can download it: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/
- And while you’re at it, use AdBlock to get rid of intrusive banner ads, and all the other junk that detracts from the browsing experience: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-
- Here’s a free antivirus, It’s lightweight so it won’t bog down your computer, and did we mention it’s free?? Install and run, then run again. Same with malware bytes: http://free.avg.com/us-en/
- Might as well defrag your drive a few times while you’re at it. This will speed up your hard drive and help it last a bit longer: https://www.piriform.com/
- Also, run windows update a few times too, just do search from start button and update.